Record crowds attended Mexico Beach’s 16th Annual Gumbo and Brunswick Stew Cook-Off, which was held February 15 at Sunset Park. Not only was the weather heating up but so was the competition among the numerous chefs vying for gold in the “Best Gumbo” and “Best Brunswick Stew” categories. In case you didn’t get to attend, Mexico Beach’s 2014 reigning kings and their runners up are as follows:
- 1st Place Restaurant – Gumbo: Fish House Restaurant; Mexico Beach, FL
- 2nd Place Restaurant – Gumbo: The Thirsty Goat; Port St. Joe, FL
- 3rd Place Restaurant – Gumbo: Mango Marley’s; Mexico Beach, FL
- 1st Place Amateur- Gumbo: Sowega CoonAsses; Leesburg, GA
- 2nd Place Amateur-Gumbo: Mo Betta Gumbo; Steinhatchee, FL
- 3rd Place Amateur-Gumbo: Roux Health Check INC; Mexico Beach, FL
- 1st Place Brunswick Stew – Camp Creek Cookers; Mexico Beach, FL
- 2nd Place Brunswick Stew – Biker Brew Crew; Port St. Joe, FL
- 3rd Place Brunswick Stew – El Go Gumbo; Mexico Beach, FL
- Best Team Spirit – El Go Gumbo; Mexico Beach, FL
- Best Decorated – Camp Creek Cookers; Mexico Beach, FL
- Furthest Traveled – Gumbo Guroux; North Charleston, SC
CONGRATULATIONS and a big THANK YOU to all of the participants, as well as the tasters whose donations helped raise money for Mexico Beach’s annual Best Blast on the Beach 4th of July fireworks extravaganza. We hope you will all return this summer and celebrate with us because we couldn’t have done it without you!
Ask anyone, it’s been a l-o-n-g, c-o-l-d winter. Aren’t you ready to make a beeline to the warm Sunshine State, where you can toss away your boots and stick your toes in our soft, sugar-white sand? Mexico Beach makes a perfect Spring Break escape, whether you have the kids in tow or if you are looking to rekindle the romantic fires with your other half. Bypass the party-hearty college coeds and retreat to our secluded little slice of paradise. Along the “Unforgettable Coast,” we pride ourselves in our genuine Southern hospitality and our reputation as being Florida’s “Friendliest Little Beach Town.”
And when it comes to variety, we have a little something for nearly every budget and taste. Our extensive lodging options run the gamut from quaint B & Bs and gulf-front condos to campsites and rustic cabins. Mexico Beach’s seafood is as fresh and abundant as our ocean breezes. Whether you’re visiting our heavenly haunt for the very first time or the fiftieth, we strive to make your beach getaway truly memorable and your cozy beach home away from home. For more information about Spring Break getaways to the “Unforgettable Coast,” visit our Places to Stay page or call us at 888-723-2546. See you soon!